Monday, May 28, 2012

Crazy About Sinks...or Just a Little Crazy


I have decided that a kitchen sink is a very personal sort of thing.  The sink seems to be the center of the kitchen universe. Maybe my sub conscience can still see Beaver's mom always standing at the kitchen sink dispensing words of wisdom and exasperation at Wally and the Beav.  Alice, from The Brady Bunch seemed hang out at the kitchen sink too-I don't remember Carol Brady hanging out in the kitchen--unless she was talking to Alice--but if I had had an Alice...I probably wouldn't hang out in there either.

Since I don't have room for one of the kitchen islands that are the rage now, my kitchen sink is the hub of my little galley.  So naturally it became an important place to consider.  I also don't have a window over the sink.  I tried hard to figure out how to place the sink where the one window was...but alas..the window is large enough and set low enough that it just wouldn't work without taking out the window and installing a different one...which wouldn't match the windows across the front of the house and would have sucked up more of my budget..so we worked with what we have.  Not changing the location of the sink also helped with the budget.  We didn't have to move plumbing.  

The choices are mind boggling...and yes, I stood in the big box stores staring at the displays of sinks. I scoured the internet looking at them.  

There are porcelain sinks, concrete, stone, bronze, bamboo, and standard  stainless steel sinks.  There are the apron sinks..they are vintage looking and somewhat trendy at the same time.  They also come in a variety of colors and can help define the style of the kitchen.  Kitchen sinks can be set in on top of the counter top (what our mothers all had) and now they can be under mounted-which means the sink is attached under the counter top.  A great place to look at the unusual is http://www.bluebath.com/farmsinks?gclid=CM2A1-CEo7ACFQiynQodSUuaWQ .

There are double bowled sinks, double bowled sinks with the same size bowl on each side, double bowled sinks with one sink larger than the other, triple bowl sinks...yada, yada, yada.  The price of all this can run from a few hundred dollars...to the thousands.  

This decision was one of the easier ones for me--much easier than the cabinet hardware decision.   I wanted one that was large enough to do the large pans and bowls that I use when having large gatherings.  After considering the apron sinks and the porcelain ones, I am going with good old fashioned stainless steel.  It's really easy to clean and I don't have to worry about stains and chips.  I also will have one of those little pull out drawers in front of the sink with a tray that will hide stuff.  I couldn't have had the apron sink and the place for sponges and scrubbers.  This time function won out over the look.  The sink is 31" wide and I think about 10 inches deep.  And I have been so excited about it!  Maybe more so than about anything else I have chosen.

How weird is that?  Excited about the sink!   June Cleaver would be proud.   But don't look for me to be standing there in a shirt waste cotton dress with a belt!  I am still amazed at how June could keep that tiny waist after having two boys. 


No comments:

Post a Comment