Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sandbox Skills


When you get right down to it... It's really all about sandbox skills, or how well you work and communicate with others...and how well they communicate and work with you!    Honestly, and I hate to admit this, I have usually let my husband do the communicating with the carpentry, electrical, plumbing, or concrete laying guys that have done work for us over the years. 

The one time I did try to assert myself and say, “No, I don’t want concrete steps poured down the side of the house, I like the natural path with brick pavers leading me to the back yard.”  I was told, very condescendingly “Awww Miss Nancy, You’re gonna have drainage problems if you don’t do this.”  I finally said, “Fine, if you are going to do this I want exposed aggregate edged in brick.”  There was some mumbling about me wanting a lot…but it was done. (And I have never liked anything about it.) But I have digressed.

Most of the people I have worked with on this project have been great and helpful.  I had one little issue with the appliance salesman—who really was trying to be helpful—but made the mistake of telling me, “Oh, you don’t want that,” when we were discussing something.  

FWIW.  Never, ever tell a menopausal woman what she doesn’t want!

The issue was the purchase of the appliances.  I had wanted the GE CafĂ© Line of appliances and then because of some features not available I had decided to get the GE Cafe duel fuel stove, but GE Profile line of refrigerator and dishwasher.  

“Oh no you don’t want that,” he said.  I asked, “Why?” and was told that my handles wouldn't match.  Now, for some people that might be a huge issue…but for me it wasn’t.  Truthfully, I might have been a little hormonal…but I left there thinking…”Don’t tell me what I don’t want.”  

FWIW.  In retrospect it is stressful making these decisions.  I am committing to spending a goodly chunk of change on appliances that I will use for at least a decade… and I don’t want to make a mistake.  I think the thing to remember is that I shouldn’t expect anything to be easy.  It’s another way of me saying to anyone going through this--Expect all decisions to take longer than you think.  Expect others to not see things the way you do.  Listen to everyone but eventually go with your gut! 


No comments:

Post a Comment