Thursday, May 17, 2012

My Secret Weapon


I have a secret weapon and it's time to come clean about it.  I have loved planning for the kitchen and feel great about the choices that I've made regarding the entire process.  But in the interest of full disclosure I need to say I have a secret weapon in the project.  It's Lacey-my oldest friend (we've known each other since we were 10 and 11 years old.)  We have shared secrets, clothes, make up, shoes, homes, parents, and siblings since 1968.  Note.  The bourbon bottle behind us was Daddy's!

Lacey is an interior designer and she's good.  So when I had read the books, searched the internet and shopped the stores I called her one day and said, "Ok, I've done all I can, I need your help."  And she came with drawing pencil and paper and a tape measure and we talked it through and she drew the plan.  Truthfully, she's thought about redoing my kitchen as long as I have.

She took me to the cabinet builder she has used.  I got a price from him and then I went to one of the big box stores with her plan and talked about stock cabinets.  The estimate I got from the custom cabinet guy was less than the one from the big box!  Lacey helped me know the questions to ask.  One thing I must say about the two of us.  I am slow to get going on things.  Lacey wants to get something started and get it done.  She has pushed and I knew she was pushing--but I needed it.  


FWIW.  If you can find an expert in design to help you it's a comforting thing.  Doing the kitchen is expensive and I didn't want to make a mistake and I wasn't confident in my ability to do this on my own.  If you don't have a professional then ask lots of questions to those you know who have done this before. 

The bottom line...it's great to have the secret weapon but it's even greater to have a best friend who can be there through thick and thin.









No comments:

Post a Comment