Thursday, May 10, 2012

Kitchen Dreams


Funny thing about dreams.  Sometimes they work out just great...and sometimes you have dream something else.  Excuse me if that sounds a little like a self help book.  I think the kitchen project is a little like therapy-forcing me to think about the past, and the future while living in chaos.

This photo is of the kitchen I really loved.  This is not the kitchen I am building.  I found this in a book titled Great Kitchen Ideas published by the Meredith Corporation in 2007.  I love everything about this kitchen. The vintage feel, the openness, the eclectic look, the hot yellow color.  I liked the open feeling created with the subway tiled walls without upper cabinets.  I liked the utensils where they are reachable.  Other photos showed a wall of pantry in the hot yellow color.  I liked the freshness of the design and aesthetic.....just about all of it.

I spent days looking at this kitchen trying to figure out how I could make this work in my space.  Bottom line...it just doesn't work.  Not now and not ever.  First and probably most important--My house isn't a big old farm house or old bungalow.  I think it is more of a cottage or modified ranch that was built in 1978.   My kitchen is a 14' foot long by 8'6" shoe box with 8' ceilings.  There is one way in and one way out.  And there is only one window.  

For me, it's important that the kitchen match the style and feel of the house.   So I had to really focus on just what would work with the rest of the house.  And it isn't this really hip and cool kitchen.  But a girl can dream.










No comments:

Post a Comment