Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Process

It's all about the research and the planning.

 I have a small library of books and magazines about kitchen design. I started by checking out books from the library :) and then I have bought books over the years.  I have a Pinterest account with a folder entitled Kitchen Dreams.   I have a Houzz.com account on my iphone and have looked at photos for hours.  I have haunted the Lowes and Home Depot stores for years. I spent an entire summer, fall and winter with a laptop in my lap reading other blogs about home projects and kitchen projects. (I'm not sure what this is saying about my life!)  I tore photos out of magazines for several years and ended up throwing them all away a few years ago because they seemed so dated.  And then I began again.  I looked at appliances in stores for years.  I listened to friends who got new appliances, and I read the Consumer Reports occasionally.

As we got serious this year about this project I would just stand in the kitchen and look and make notes.

I am going to add some FWIW (For What It's Worth) comments as I go through the blog.

FWIW Learn, learn, learn and don't be in a hurry.  (Now, in all honesty I wouldn't recommend waiting 19 years to do your project.)  But really, don't be in a hurry.  The more you know...the better off you will be.  I spent two hours in Lowe's once just looking at the edges of counter tops. There are several types and how did I know what I liked and what difference does it make? So I just walked around looking at counter tops and edging...  FYI...there is the ogee, dupont, fillet, float profile with eased edge, 2cm slab with profiled wood trim, slab with full bullnose.  Counter tops can be solid surface, stone, slate, tile, concrete, stainless, wood.  It goes on and on.

FWIW.  Don't worry about what everyone else does.  What works for you and the needs of those who live with you are all that matters---And oh yes--what you can afford!

What has surprised me is that what I started out loving...isn't what I ended up with!   More about that later...



No comments:

Post a Comment