Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Obsessing

Did you know you can obsess about cabinet hardware?  Who knew?  It's such a small thing but with so many options.  Chrome, stainless, wood, glass, novelty, antiqued brass, rubbed brass, nickel, brushed nickel, knobs and hinged pulls or just pulls.  The price ranges from just a few dollars to hundreds...yes, hundreds of dollars for just one pull!  And then there are the sizes. They can be anything from 3.5" to 12" long!  And yes, size does matter!

I spent hours looking at photos on houzz.com looking at the hardware.  I walked through Lowe's and Home Depot and looked at the pulls and what kinds of pulls were used for what kinds cabinets.  I touched lots and lots of pulls to see what they felt like in my hands and fingers.

And then when I went to the cabinet maker to choose the cabinets, I chose some hardware-and two hours later I had no idea what I had chosen!    So this week I made the trip to see the cabinets...yes, they are there with my name on them...just the boxes, no doors yet.  I looked at the hardware I had originally chosen.   Many of the magazines and photos I had looked at have a large over sized pulls on the drawers in kitchens now.  I like the look and thought it made the cabinets look modern and up to date.  I had a photo of one I had seen in Birmingham that I like.  I chose that one and picked the largest one-which is 12" long for the bottom drawers in the kitchen...there are at least six on one side of the room.  The drawers are anywhere from 30" to 32" wide.  Driving home from my cabinet preview I kept thinking about that large pull.  It nagged at me all day and in to the evening.  I imagined my opening the cabinets.  Those handles got bigger and bigger in my head.  A quick conversation with Howard, the cabinet builder this morning confirmed that I could make the change.

The bottom line. I liked the look in the kitchens I was seeing in the magazines.  Mostly those are all large rooms with walls lots more space than I had.  I also imagined bumping in to these large handles in my little room.  So I have the same pull but in scale with the size of my room and my house.


Who would have ever thought you could spend days and nights planning and imagining the pulls on the kitchen cabinets?


Progress report!  We're getting there!  Painting should be finished at the end of the week.  Memorial Day will stop work on Monday, and then the cabinets will be installed on Wednesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment