Sunday, April 22, 2012

Nancy and the One Eyed Stove

Blogging about the kitchen project is really an excuse to see if I can figure out this blogging thing. I read lots of them...and wanted to try it out...so this one is my rambling about my kitchen and my thoughts...about the process. 

Nancy and the One Eyed Stove was almost the title for the blog.  We've lived with only one working eye on the stove...for years--so many that I can't tell you how long. It finally quit working..so we have broken down and bitten the bullet...and are about to start the first complete kitchen redo I have ever done.  

TRUTH You can cook just about anything in an electric skillet.

TRUTH  When one has a one eyed stove, one has to be very careful with menu planning.  I had years to perfect a few recipes that would work with my limited appliances.  Oh yes, and the oven door has no handle..hasn't since spring of 2010..it was knocked off by Ian with a sledge hammer...you read that right...with a sledge hammer just hours before we were feeding a lovely lunch to all of his relatives in the spring of 2010.  Ian's family had traveled from California, New Mexico, and Michigan and I was excited to show them some southern hospitality.   My potatoes were roasting in the oven and I opened the door to check on them.  The door stuck at about 45 degrees.  It wouldn't open or close.  I called for help...and Ian came...with a sledge hammer-albeit a small one- and he pounded on the door for a while.  The handle was now gone.  Thankfully my neighbor, Jane let me put the potatoes in her oven for a while.  




No comments:

Post a Comment